This stone features a small ship with a large floriated cross. There is a small animal climbing the rigging, and from the ship, a hand points upwards to the cross. There is also a small figure in the prow of the ship. Above the ship’s rigging, a hand grasps a sword that points downwards towards the ship. A short-handled axe is carved on the left side of the stone.
This stone is the best recorded of the collection, and has been compared to the Ardrossan sarcophagus lid, found in North Ayrshire in 1911.
Museum number: DUMG 1994-127
Measurements: Length: 2050mm, Width :740mm, Depth :300mm Weight : 1138kg
Click and drag the stone above to rotate.
Click and drag the stone above to alter the lighting angle.